Summer brings sunny days. Though we yearn for the warmer weather, when the first heat wave hits, we scramble to lower the rising temps that creep indoors. Here are a few tips to help you stay cool this summer.
- Use ceiling fans the right way. Did you know the base of your ceiling fan has a small switch on it? This changes the direction of the airflow. During the summer, that flow should blow in a counter-clockwise direction forcing air down and making you feel cooler.
- Fire up the grill. Take cooking duties outside so the stove and oven don’t add more heat to an already warm house.
- Don’t let the sunshine in. Whether using blackout shades, blinds, or window-tint film, you can reduce the temperature by up to 15 degrees.
- Open windows at night and create a cross-breeze. Crack a window on the main floor and open a window on the second floor on the opposite side of the house with a fan that draws the air out. Because heat rises, you will soon feel cooler.
- Switch to a high-efficiency heat pump. Whether you are considering replacing your furnace or adding on, heat pumps can significantly reduce your home’s energy bill and provide air conditioning when the thermometer goes up.
The largest part of your home’s electricity use comes from heating and cooling systems. Rebates from PenLight can help you upgrade to more efficient technologies, saving you money and electricity for years to come. Check out our heat pump rebates under our website’s rebate programs page.