In the aftermath of a major storm, be aware of hazards presented by downed power lines. If you see a power line on the ground, don’t assume that it is insulated. Stay at least 10 feet away from the wire and secure the area to keep others away, too. If you discover a low or fallen line, do the following:
Reporting a fallen power line
- Call PenLight at 253.857.5950 or 877.853.1388 and report the location of the line.
- Call 911 if someone is in a vehicle that is touching a line.
- Do not approach or make contact with the person or vehicle.
- Wait for emergency personnel.
If vehicle comes in contact with a power line
If you are inside the vehicle:
- Stay inside the vehicle and warn others to keep away.
- Wait inside the vehicle until rescue personnel arrive.
- Do not make contact with metal parts in the vehicle.
If you have to get out of the vehicle because of a fire or other danger
- Jump out so that you do not touch the vehicle and ground at the same time. Do not run.
- Hop away, keeping your feet together. Separating your feet can create two contact points with the ground and can result in a shock if the ground is energized by a fallen wire.