This position is responsible for maintenance, repair and installation work to assure effective operation of the water systems owned and/or managed by Peninsula Light Company. This individual will report to the Water Manager, who evaluates work through on-site observations, reports, work orders and overall evaluation of results obtained. Union represented position with pay schedule.
This is a non-supervisory position.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Constructs and maintains substation steel structures, foundations, bus structures and busses, switchboard transformers, conduit work, and underground feeder terminals within the station.
- Installs and maintains electrical equipment used in the electrical operation of stations including switchboards, relays, electric storage batteries, circuit breakers (hydraulic, electrical, solid state, and microprocessor), controls, switchgear, protective equipment, voltage regulators, motor operators and substation AMR equipment.
- Performs a variety of test related to the maintenance and repair of substation functions and the electrical transmission and distribution systems as required.
- Prepares and maintains maintenance test, repair and related reports and records as required.
- Does substation switching and related activities as required.
- Sets and removes meters as required.
- Operates motor vehicles and powered equipment as required. Operates a variety of tools and equipment used in the electrical trade such as hydraulic presses, cutters, benders, testing devices, and hand tools.
- Works independently or in conjunction with others. Trains and provides work guidance to others as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
Individual assigned to this position will work in both office and field conditions under potentially adverse weather situations. Must have the ability to climb poles, including conducting a pole top rescue if necessary. During system emergencies, individual is expected to work extended out-of-routine hours. Position requires lifting up to 85 pounds, climbing, pushing, pulling, and descending into ditches when necessary. An employee in this position may be exposed to hazardous materials, substances or circumstances. Individuals with restrictions in physical mobility including walking, bending, lifting, and climbing may be unable to perform the essential functions of the job.
Job Related Qualifications
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of substations, protective systems, transmission, and distribution systems for residential, commercial and industrial customers.
- Knowledge of practices, methods, tools, materials, and equipment used in the electrical trade (including overhead and underground systems).
- Knowledge of construction and maintenance of a variety of electrical equipment and their functions as used in transmission and distribution systems.
- Knowledge of electrical theory and principles related to power transmission and distribution systems, and ability to read and interpret relay diagrams, system maps, work sketches, and circuit diagrams.
- Knowledge of applicable laws, codes, regulations, including the Washington State Electrical Workers’ Safety Rules (WAC 296-45), policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions for this type of work.
- Ability to maintain physical fitness capable of responding to the strength, stamina, mobility, alertness, and concentration of the position.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and to maintain interpersonal skills, including tact, patience and courtesy with fellow employees.
- Ability to courteously and effectively deal with customer’s complaints, service questions or problems.
A high school diploma (or G.E.D.) plus 4 years experience as a Journeyman Lineman is required. Must have successfully completed an approved Wireman Apprenticeship. Individual must possess a valid Washington State Class-A commercial driver’s license, CPR certification, flagging and first aid cards. Must be willing to be available and responsive to emergency call-outs.
Visit our Benefits of Working for PenLight page for a detailed description of the company's benefits offerings.