Take control of your energy use and save
$100 Incentive for Smart Thermostats – EXTENDED! to April 1, 2019
Saving money on your heating bill just got a lot smarter. Now you can manage your home’s energy by purchasing a new Smart Thermostat – available at retail stores, including online retailers – and receive a $100 rebate on select models from PenLight!
Heating and cooling consumes the greatest amount of energy in a household. Smart Thermostats provide an affordable and easy way for homeowners to control the use of their heating and cooling system and lower the costs of their electric bills using features such as:
- Occupancy sensors that can tell if a person has been away to conserve energy, when they are not at home
- Learning algorithms that avoid the need to program a set schedule
- Ability for homeowners to control the heating and cooling system remotely through their wireless apps on their phones or tablets (especially valuable for homeowners with second homes)
- Feedback notifications on the energy-saving potential of your thermostat set point and other efficient settings
- Ability to monitor previous electric usage data, and having smarter control of your heating and cooling system when it’s not needed at full capacity
PenLight is now offering incentives for the purchase and installation of Smart Thermostats for homes with electric forced-air furnaces, air source heat pumps, and ground source heat pumps as their primary system. These incentives are available for existing and new construction single-family, manufactured, and multifamily homes. Smart Thermostats may be installed by homeowners or HVAC contractors.
Your thermostat controls half your energy bill – more than appliances, more than electronics. So shouldn’t it help you save energy? Independent studies have proven that Smart Thermostats saved an average of 10–12% on heating bills and 15% on cooling bills.That means that in two years, it can pay for itself.
A WiFi-enabled – or “learning” – thermostat works with your existing home heating system and allows you to you keep tabs on the temp from anywhere through a simple online interface or mobile app. A Smart Thermostat is a great way to reduce energy use, lower your bill, and maintain optimum home comfort.
Eligible models that can be purchased and self-installed or installed by a contractor:
- ecobee 3 (NOT Lite) and ecobee 4
- Nest 3rd Generation and Nest E
- Carrier Cor-TP-WEM01-A
- Bryant T6-WEM01-A
To be eligible Penlight’s Smart Thermostat rebate:
- Must be a current PenLight single-family residential customer with electric heat.
- Purchase, install, and connect a new qualifying Smart Thermostat between April 1, 2017 and December 31, 2018.
- The qualified Smart Thermostat must be registered as connected with the manufacturer.
- Must have a one-thermostat centralized home heating system using a heat pump, forced-air furnace or boiler.
After you’ve purchased your qualifying Smart Thermostat, you can apply for Penlight’s rebate by completing a rebate application. You will need all of the following:
- A completed Smart Thermostat Information Form.
- Your Penlight account number.
- A copy of your receipt that clearly indicates manufacturer/brand and model number
Email the completed documentation to EnergySpecialist@Penlight.org.
If you do not have a digital copy of your receipt, you may print our online Smart Thermostat Information Form and mail it with a hard copy of your invoice/receipt.
Upon verification of submitted documentation, your Penlight rebate will be issued within 6-8 weeks.